Tuesday, October 14, 2014

How Teachers SHOULD Respond to Students Needs

There are 5 key elements that teachers should know in order to respond to students needs in the differentiated classroom.There are 5 key elements that I myself want to remember. There are 5 key elements that will help me be successful in the classroom, not only that, but successful in a differentiated classroom.
Invitation
I have respect for who you are and who you can become! You are unique and valuable. I believe in you. I have time for you. We need you here.
Opportunity
The things I ask you to do are worthy things. The things I ask you to do open new possibilities for you. 
Investment
I work hard to make this place work for you. I work to make this place reflect you. I love to find new paths to succes. I will do what it takes to ensure your growth. 
 Persistence
You are growing, but you're not finished growing. Let's figure out what works best. There are no excuses here, but there is support. There is no finish line in learning.
Reflection
I watch you and listen to you carefully and systematically. I continually, ask, "How can I make this better?"

Make ties with your students, don't use excuses, push for it!
  Create relationships with your students. 
Make them feel valued!
I would not be training to be in this occupation if my teachers did not make ties to me, if they did not try to be a differentiated teacher.

Mrs. Olsen- 1st grade
Mrs. Carpenter-2nd grade
Miss. Winward-3rd grade
Mrs. Wagaman-4th grade 
Mrs. Bunnel, Miss.King, Mr. Williams, Mrs. Cannon, Mr. Hughes- 5th grade
Mrs. O'Very-6th Grade
Mrs. Kingsford, Mrs. Ross, Mrs. Eddy, Mr. Smith, Mr. Kofed, Miss. Thompson, Mrs. Wynn- Jr. High
Senorita Taylor, Mrs. Dilello, Mrs. Flanagan, Mrs. Felix, Mr. Dunn- High School
They impacted my life in so many ways, I owe so much to them.
They taught me so much.
They taught me in ways where I felt like I mattered. They seemed like they cared. They made me feel wanted. I know I am not the only one.
 
In the words of Carol Ann Tomlinson, "Perhaps those teachers who are successful in forming bonds with students remember the dreams of the novice teacher clearly enough that they inhabit those dreams daily. The way we "do school" often makes it easy to forget why teaching once seemed the best job in the world and makes it easy to lose sight of what we once hoped for." 

And in the words of Rita Pierson:
  

     

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this TED talk. How did you find out about it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually just on the site and typed in differentiation and this beauty popped up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also want to be the kind of teacher who forms great bonds with my students helping them to know I believe in and support their dreams. :)

    ReplyDelete