Monday, September 22, 2014

What is it? A.C.P.P.C.

Affirmation, Contribution, Power, Purpose, & Challenge

A.C.P.P.C

What does it ALL mean?!

Affirmation: "Perhaps the most basic of student needs is for affirmation."    
  • I am accepted here.
  • I am safe here.
  • Others listen to me, and I listen to them.
  • People want to know me, and acknowledge my likes and dislikes. 
  • People BELIEVE in me.
This is how all students should feel in the classroom. 

Contribution: "Not only do people tell me I am worthwhile, I can actually see that I am."
  • I make a difference in this place and in the work in this place.
  • I bring my abilities and strengths.
  • I help others in the class succeed. 
  • I am connected to the others by common goals.
The students should know that they do this in the classroom.

Power:
  • What I learn is useful to me now.
  • I learn to make choices that give me success.
  • I understand what is expected of me.
  • I know what quality looks like.
  • There is support all around for me.
Students should feel assured that these attributes of power will be learned and gained.

Purpose:"Purpose, like power and contribution, is a factor in developing a sense of self-efficacy."
  • I understand what we do here.
  • What we do here shows who I am and my world.
  • What we do here makes a difference to me and in the world around me.
  • The work absorbs me. 
Your students should find this in themselves.

Challenge: "Youth is a time for dreaming"
  • The work compliments my abilities.
  • It stretches me.
  • I work hard.
  • I am accountable for my own growth, and in helping others grow.
  • I accomplish things that I did not know were possible.  
The students should know this.

So what is all of this? It is what your students should discover and know. It is what will help them grow, and it will help them succeed. Not only that, but it is what your students want to find.  

All quotes are taken from Carol Ann Tomlinson's book Fulfilling the Promise of the Differentiated Classroom.

2 comments:

  1. How can a teacher internalize this, do you think? This is so powerful that it even applies to my university classes... When I feel like I'm not making a difference, I come back to these ideas and try to determine whether or not I'm leaving out some of these needs that ALL students have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that all students need these and very few get them. I know good teachers try but not all succeed in this area because we are unsure of how to reach all students. Uncertainty shouldn't stop us from achieving all that we can do as teachers.

    ReplyDelete