Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Will I Differentiate?

I have always wanted to be a teacher, I never have wanted to be anything else. I think of all the teachers that I have had in my life, from kindergarten to my senior year of high school, and I remember that they are why I am where I am. Most of them were stubborn enough to help me understand any concept that was put in my way. They were the ones who made that light bulb burst with bright light in my head. They gave me the power to know that I could succeed, when at times I felt like I couldn't. I know I am not the only person who feels this way. Many people that I still talk to today hold Cedar Ridge Elementary School, Deerfield Elementary School, Mountain Ridge Jr. High, and Lone Peak High School close to their hearts. All of us are indebted to our teachers. They made us who we are.
I want to show my students that they can succeed, I want to show them that I care, I want to show them that I will do whatever it takes for them to know that they are worth something, and that they will become something amazing. That is the teacher I want to be. How will I do all of this? I will do this by modeling after many of my past teachers, and differentiate. 

However...

There are many children in Utah, and in the U.S. that are English Language Learners, there are many who have Learning Disabilities, and there are many students who just can't grasp particular concepts at a quick pace. They will have their own struggles. These students will be mixed in with other students who understand concepts quite well, and are higher than other students on the academic scale. How can you challenge your top students and not leave anyone behind? You must adapt your lessons. Teachers who differentiate respond to diverse learning needs of students. This increases the likelihood of students learning key concepts. Design lessons that address the multiple intelligences throughout the room.

~metaphor~ adapted from Rick Wormeli
Children are like athletes, some need baseball bats, some need cleats and balls, some need to lift weights, some need running, and some need catching. Not every child needs the same thing.


How will I give everyone an appropriate challenge? How will I give them appropriate anything?
I will differentiate, but first there are things that I should do, and I suggest you do them too. 
 
1. Assessment, accurate assessments! Learn where my students are.I can see where there are academically in the subject and can help them further succeed in the subject area.
2. Continue Assessments. These don't need to be graded. Let students know there is a place where questions can be asked, or that opportunities for review are there. (Exit slips, class discussions, informal worksheets)
3. Scaffolding, SCAFFOLDING, SCAFFOLDING or a new term, Tier a lesson (Rick Wormeli).
4. Mix and match students into groups if needed.

Do I sound like I want to differentiate? Because I do, I may not be perfect at it yet, but with patience and practice, I will be a differentiated teacher.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked this post because I feel that anyone who really wants to differentiate will find a way to make it happen and I believe you will!

    ReplyDelete